incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:03:43 GMT
On 16 November 2011 12:42, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2011, at 3:57 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> > On 15 November 2011 18:31, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> >> Why the AL is important for such a "standard"
> >> such as Open Office and ODF;
> >
> > Hey, we can even quote Stallman there.
> >
> > I'm not sure I'm +1 on an open letter or not. I certainly like Rob's
> > manifesto/top ten type idea. I'm not sure we need something that might
> > be seen as aggressive, if the TDF as a whole really reacted the way we
> > were told then such a letter may be seen as an attack on the TDF
> > itself, rather than an attempt to address FUD from a few.
>
> I like the "manifesto/top ten type" idea, but I also feel the
> need for an Open Letter as well. For example, I have heard
> from reliable sources that some companies have been "convinced"
> that they should not donate any patches to AOOo and instead should
> donate them to another entity. An open letter could describe why
> this is harmful to the entire OOo ecosystem.

I think a key message related to that is that ASF wants the widest possible
take up of products based on the Apache OpenOffice code base so that the
ODF standard is strengthened across the whole ecosystem.

I should think that simple message is enough to counter any others without
upsetting anyone.

Let's see how far the manifesto/top ten type idea goes and maybe

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.