incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:22:06 GMT
Hi Eric, *,

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 19 nov. 11 à 22:55, Mathias Bauer a écrit :
>> Am 19.11.2011 15:22, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:
>
>> I still prefer the conversion of a cws in single diffs, each one
>> representing a single commit.
>
> Me too.  That's the most efficient way to integrate a cws.

No, it is not. A cws can be long lived, could have underwent multiple
rebases with the current tree, so there are lots of commits that refer
to a old version of the code and thus won't apply anymore.
Unless you want to do lots of detecitve work and redo all the merging
work that the author of the cws did do already over the course of
time, trying to apply a cws by its individual commits is a waste of
time, not to mention that it is

The version to apply a cws to a different version-control system is to
create a diff agains the current milestone the cws is based on and try
to apply that one. (feel free to create a diff for each module). This
will give way less conflicts and is much faster. You loose history,
but that was your decision when converting the repo to begin with.

ciao
Christian