incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Hunspell dictionaries are not just words lists (+ other matters)
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 00:29:16 GMT
Hi Rob,

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 12:34 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> The complexity of the language is irrelevant.  The point is that the
> complexity is not created or invented by the person who compiles the
> dictionary.  The complexity is not the creative expression of an
> author.  The compiler of a spell checking dictionary is just recording
> facts about the language.

This is complete <censored/>.

Why don't you just admit that you have absolutely no clue about how
the dictionaries (or for that matter hunspell/affix compression as a
whole) works?

Unless you provide the spellchecking dictionaries that IBM uses and
prove your point, you should really shut up and let the topic rest.
And it's irrelevant whether IBM uses a different spellchecking engine.
If the dictionaries are not copyrightable, then show them, provide
them to the project. And we'll see how to hook them up to
OOo/LibreOffice/other projects.

But I bet you can't. As they are copyrighted. Because you're talking
about "wordlists", "phonebooks" and the like, but not about
dictionaries.

So once again: Either stop wasting everybody's time, or provide the
dictionaries that IBM uses in Symphony.