incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From xia zhao <lilyzh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [AOO 3.4 Test Plan Discussion]Overview
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:32:43 GMT
2011/11/23 eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr>

> Le 23 nov. 11 à 08:58, xia zhao a écrit :
>
> Hi all,
>>

> Hi,
>

>  I think it's time for us to discuss and detail AOO 3.4 test plan now.
>> Basically at current time I suggest:
>>
>>   1. Leverage OpenOffice users on General Usage test
>>   2. Focus on establishing automation mechanism. Start from Build
>>   Verification Testing(BVT in short).
>>

> Can you explain further please ?
>

> Here I means start from utilizing automation testing tool(suggest new tool
>> due to VCL tool is not easy to use from my view) to execute some "build-in"
>> testing. These kind of testing may at one smoke-testing level. Like what
>> old oo did.
>

>   3. Focus on test infrastructure set up. Start from case management tool.
>> For 3.4, place the test cases on wiki and volunteer can do general testing
>> against. If volunteer couldn't write cases, may give the test scope he
>> would do. For example, which component etc. And then report defects in
>> Apache Bugzilla.
>>   4. Focus on Performance Verification Testing(PVT in short)
>>
>>   investigation, and setup benchmark PVT environment.
>>   5. Establish QA entry in AOO wiki https://cwiki.apache.org/
>>   6. Build private build before official build is ready
>>

> Repeat builds over and over builds is always a good idea, like provide
> some of them for testing purpose, using Apache home, e.g.
>
> As example, using Raphael builds :   http://people.apache.org/~**
> rbircher/builds <http://people.apache.org/~rbircher/builds>
>
> Is this what you mean with "private builds" ?
>
> Yes but not eaaxtly. If volunter can get public build or build from
> others,that will be ok. But if no build can be used for testing. Volunteer
> may build his/her own build for testing purpose.
>

>   7. Platform will be covered
>>

>>   - Windows XP
>>   - Win7 32bit/64bit
>>

> Do we really (need to) provide 64 bits version on windows ?
>

> 64 bits Windows version isn't needed. But testing should be done against
> 64bits Windows platform.
>
>   - Where we only have a 32bit windows version, it should run against
>>   62bit windows version.
>>
>>   - Redhat 6 32 bit/64 bit
>>   - Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit/64 bit
>>   - Mac 10.7
>>   - Mac 10.6.x
>>

> Please keep Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 compatibility as long as possible.
>

>   - FreeBSD 9.0/8.2 (9.0 is suppose to release at 12/07/2011?)
>>   - OS2
>>
>> Welcome your comments.
>>

> I think it's far too early.
>

> The current step is :
>
> - IP clearance (not completed if I'm not wrong)
> - fix build issues and see what disasters caused the removing of important
> tools, like dmake and some other.
>
> Next one will probably be :
>
> - consolidate the build (on every OS)
> - optimize configure command line
> - optimize build dependencies for every OS
> - find and welcome newcomers, and builders on every OS
> [...]
I agree with you on this point.

To be frank, my opinion is that if serious QA is done, this must be made as
transparently as possible, by paid people from companies, but not
volunteers.

As volunteer, I remember I stopped to commit any cws and to contribute
directly to OpenOffice.org, because of excessive, stupid and boring QA.

Anyway, I wish you as much of people to folllow you  :-)

Regards,
Eric Bachard
--
qɔᴉɹə