incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From xia zhao <lilyzh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [AOO 3.4 Test Plan Discussion]Overview
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 07:11:09 GMT
Rob,

2011/11/23 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:58 AM, xia zhao <lilyzhao8@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I think it's time for use to discuss and detail AOO 3.4 test plan now.
> > Basically at current time I suggest:
> >

> Hi Lily, Thanks for the proposal.
>
> >   1. Leverage OpenOffice users on General Usage test
>

> For this to work we need:
>
> 1) Test cases that are clear and easy to understand
>
> 2) Test cases that can be run without requiring a  lot of preparation
>
> 3) Test cases that can be run without dedicating much time.  How can
> someone help who has only 1 hour to contribute?
>
> 4) Test cases that can be run without learning a lot of other tools or
> processes
>

> >   2. Focus on establishing automation mechanism. Start from Build
> >   Verification Testing(BVT in short).
>
> Is the the same as a "smoke test"?
>
> >   3. Focus on test infrastructure set up. Start from case management
> tool.
> >   For 3.4, place the test cases on wiki and volunteer can do general
> testing
> >   against. If volunteer couldn't write cases, may give the test scope he
> >   would do. For example, which component etc. And then report defects in
> >   Apache Bugzilla.
>
> Maybe we also need a "guide to writing test cases"?  Or point to
> something that already exists for the project.
>
> >   4. Focus on Performance Verification Testing(PVT in short)
> >   investigation, and setup benchmark PVT environment.
>
> OK.
>
> >   5. Establish QA entry in AOO wiki https://cwiki.apache.org/
>
> OK.
>
> >   6. Build private build before official build is ready
>
> OK.
>
> >   7. Platform will be covered
> >

> >   - Windows XP
> >   - Win7 32bit/64bit
> >   - Where we only have a 32bit windows version, it should run against
> >   62bit windows version.
> >   - Redhat 6 32 bit/64 bit
> >   - Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit/64 bit
> >   - Mac 10.7
> >   - Mac 10.6.x
> >   - FreeBSD 9.0/8.2 (9.0 is suppose to release at 12/07/2011?)
> >   - OS2
> >

> For platforms, maybe we think about them like this:
>
> 1) In order to preserve the value of the OpenOffice brand among users
> and our reputation for high quality, we will have an official Apache
> binary release only on platforms that have successfully completed the
> QA plan that we all agree on.

Yes, I agree our focus would be Linux, Windows and Mac.

2) Volunteers, based on their interests, will determine which
platforms are officially supported in releases.

3) Platforms that do not have enough volunteers to complete the test
plan would not have official Apache releases.  Or if we had releases,
they would be called "experimental" or some other name to indicate
that they were not fully tested.
Yes. For FreeBSD, OS2 Port or Solaris, if OpenOffice users would like
contribute their effort on these platforms it is appreciated. But these
platforms without enough volunteers to complete the test plan would not
have offical Apache release.