incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Non-Apache maintenance release for OOo 3.3?
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:34:15 GMT
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Stefan Taxhet <stx123@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 17.11.2011 02:23, schrieb Rob Weir:
>
>  This topic sounds important, so I'm moving it to its own thread.
>>
> OK, let's talk about a maintenance release first; but at some point we
> could broaden the scope to releases of Apache OpenOffice too.
>

>  On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Martin Hollmichel
>> <martin.hollmichel@googlemail.**com <martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com>>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> removal of the Oracle branding is the easy part. As said before, having a
>>> joint messaging with ASF about this release and the future releases is
>>> some
>>> work to do. Adopting references from old OpenOffice.org instances
>>> (forums,
>>> mailing lists, issue tracking) to the new ones in the ReadMe File is
>>> another
>>> issue we are still working on.
>>>

>> It is hard to think about a joint message when we know almost nothing
>> about what you are doing.  What we're doing here at Apache is clear --
>> you see our mailing lists, wiki, SVN repository, etc.  It is all very
>> open and transparent.
>>
>> Do you have a mailing list or something that we can subscribe to?
>> Could you say a little about what your short term and longer term
>> goals are?
>>

> Martin and others mentioned that there is a need to show a sign of life to
> OpenOffice.org users.

Do you agree that Apache OpenOffice, the project and the future product is
sufficient to 'show sign of life' to users? If not, why not?

> For us short term goals are to (re)gain confidence in OpenOffice.org
> and support for the existing user base. We think this requires a release
> rather soon; and we don't see a conflict but a complement with work going
> on in the project here.
>
> What is your proposal for the name of your release? Please make a proposal
for what you wish to name your release.

> Long term we want to further sustainable development work. This will
> result in a reliable product that is improved and delivered at regular
> intervals. We see such a product as the basis for ongoing business.

Does Team OpenOffice.org e.V. plan to do their 'sustainable work' within
the Apache OpenOffice project? If so, Team OpenOffice.org will have the
ability to build binary distributions for release under the AL2 license for
ongoing business.

We encourage you to present a more complete proposal for discussion.  This
is a start.
Thanks.

> We are comfortable about continuing the talk here on this list. I
> would appreciate if we come to a picture that satisfies users, the project
> and the participants.
>
> Likewise, I personally welcome you and your TO e.V. colleagues to more
actively join and participate in a positive and productive discussion on
this list.

Greetings