incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: URIs Associated with OOo Documentation
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 20:39:44 GMT
On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 06:03, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> I did a *sampling* just now and I found all of these addresses used as Feedback locations:
>
> discuss@lists.odfauthors.org
>  Impress Guide 3.3, 2011-08-27

Oops! That's an error. My bad.

> authors@user-faq.openoffice.org
>  The on-line versions of ODF 2.x (Fourth edition) documentation
>  The Getting Started Guide 3.2, 2010-02-02
>  There is no user-faq project on OpenOffice.org at this time.  references to http://user-faq.openoffice.org
yield an Oracle Network not found page.  It is not clear where the e-mail address ends up.

AFAIK, any mail sent to that address goes into the ether and is never
seen again. This and the item below are the main examples of obsolete
addresses still lurking in our docs, that we've not attempted to fix
retroactively... though we should have done GS3.2 even if 2.x is too
old to worry about.

> http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/
>  Unresolvable link to "OOoAuthors Guides page" from the 2.x Getting Started Guide page
on the wiki. Likewise for the additional 2.x User Guides

Another long-obsolete address that we've not attempted to fix retroactively.

> http://stores.lulu.com/opendocument
>  Linked from the wiki as "Friends of OpenDocument" for purchase of hard-copy versions
from lulu.com.  (These links will have to go.  It is better to confine that to pages at
ODFAuthors.)

Why do they need to go? Because they contravene Apache policy? This
info is provided as a service to users who may wish to have a printed
copy. If the links go, then users who want printed copies either won't
know they exist (and won't go to ODFAuthors site to find out, or think
to search at Lulu.com) or (IMO worse) they will search at Amazon.com
and find (overpriced) copies being sold by someone completely
unrelated, who does not return a penny of their profits to the OOo
project... but the users won't know that, and they'll buy those
copies. FOD, on the other hand, holds the money in trust for spending
to benefit the project. AFAIK, this is allowed under Apache rules. If
the links are not allowed, I'd like to determine whether we can find
some acceptable way to let users know that printed copies exist.

--Jean