incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianluca Turconi <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: content of the about dialog box
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 08:36:48 GMT
2011/11/21 Rob Weir <>:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Andrea Pescetti
> <> wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote:
>>> So in total, maybe something like:
>>> =========
>>> Copyright © 2011 Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.
>> I'm not sure about this. Is there any code that is under the Apache
>> copyright? As far as I know, the copyright still belongs to Oracle and
>> third-party contributors.
> See:
> We (the PMC) create a work when we select collectively select what
> patches to apply, etc.  Apache claims a copyright on that collective
> work.  Remember, an OSS license is only enforceable by an entity that
> owns the copyright.  So it is good that we claim this.
> Oracle may have copyright on portions as well, as may others, but
> those are noted in the NOTICE file.

I think it would be better to use the same wording that there will be in
the NOTICE file (according to

Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation

*This product includes software developed at
The Apache Software Foundation (*."

In this way Apache wouldn't claim* full rights* (including intellectual
ownership) in the about dialog box that instead is denying in a
hypothetical NOTICE file for specific files.

Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: