incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Getting permission to use OpenOffice Trademarks (draft)
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2011 20:27:26 GMT
On Nov 19, 2011 6:32 PM, "Rob Weir" <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> > Sent from my mobile device, please forgive errors and brevity.
> > On Nov 19, 2011 4:52 PM, "Dave Fisher" <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Rob,
> >>
> >> I think the Team OOo situation involving Fundraising that confuses
brand
> > ownership requires some additional rules.
> >>

> > Fundraising that confuses brand ownership would probably not be
approved by
> > trademarks.
> >
> > That isn't to say fundraising is not allowed, just not in a brand
confusing
> > way.
> >

> I see three categories:
>
> 1) Uses of our trademarks that are are allowed even without permission
> from ASF, e.g., nominative use that does not cause confusion for users
> or imply endorsement from ASF.
>
> 2) Uses of our trademark that are explicitly not permitted by ASF policy.
>
> 3) Uses of our trademark that may be granted by recommendation of the
> PMC and approval by ASF VP, Brand Management
>
> The correct place to spell outthe details of #1 and #2 is on the ASF
> trademark policy page.  We shouldn't be defining our own forked
> trademark policy in a podling.  Right now I see zero mention of
> "fundraising" on the ASF trademark page.  Maybe there should be.

Quite possibly. This is the first  ASF  project that, as far as I am aware,
has seen a need for explicit fundraising activities. Once this PPMC feels
comfortable with a proposal for this activity then trademarks will consider
it. If approved I dare say trademarks will try to generalize for the policy
document.

Until we have a proposal to consider the whole discussion is moot. I look
forward to a proposal from Team OOo (or anyone else) to get the ball
rolling.

Ross