incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:34:17 GMT
On 8 November 2011 23:58, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi Shane,
>
> Le 8 nov. 11 à 23:48, Shane Curcuru a écrit :
>
>> As a mentor, I have two comments:
>>
>> - When requesting a new mailing list, it is critical to clearly define the
>> focus and expected community that would use a list.  In particular, showing
>> specific threads on other lists that would be better moved to the new list
>> is helpful to give others a detailed explanation of the kinds of things a
>> new list proposer would expect to see on the new list.
>

> The TDF/LO people did something intelligent about that, and really separate
> what is devel form what is not.
>
> The link I have i mind is :
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Use_of_MailList
> Everything is clearly explained and seems to be well accepted.

Pointing to a document foundation wiki page and claiming is well
accepted in an Apache project is not really appropriate. That being
said if you think the AOOo project ought to adopt a similar policy for
its lists then lets discuss that.

>> Creating new email lists is simple technically, but should be approached
>> with caution in terms of the effects of splitting community energy.
>>

> It is not convinced you split energy separating pure development and what is
> not. There is a dynamic on ooo-dev list, in the sense people producing code
> ( anything producing website or something close to code) are active and
> start working together.

There is an argument to be made for providing an avenue for
non-development discussions. The problem (as I see it) with this
request is that it is for a list without a clearly defined objective.
OOO-discuss does not have a clear objective. Is it a user list? Is it
a bud discussion list? A feature request list? A policy discussion
list? Some other discuss list?

> The problem is, the number of posts is too high for a development list, and
> that's mainly why I suggested to create a new list.

This may be true. However, we have discussed list creation before and
we agreed to adopt a practice of "tagging" posts appropriately until
such a time as a single topic are was too overwhelming.

Perhaps that time has come and a second more focussed list is needed.
However, the place to discuss this is not OOo-private and in any case
the list will not be approved if the only justification is to hide the
"the noise we currently observe with ooo-dev mailing list"

A much more healthy reaction is to manage the OOo-dev list better
(unless you are saying we need a user list, for example).

Ross