incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject RE: Non-Apache maintenance release for OOo 3.3?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 21:12:30 GMT
On Nov 18, 2011 7:11 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:

> An OpenOffice.org 3.3.1 maintenance release is *not* going to be an Apache
> release, and not using any Apache code or licenses, I surmise.  It will
be on
> the OpenOffice.org 3.3 code base that is available under LGPL.  So it is a
> derivative work, but not of Apache-licensed code.

The press has covered the fact that OpenOffice.org is now at Apache. A
release of OOo that is not from the ASF and not under the Apache license
would be extremely confusing. It could potentially damage both the Apache
and OOo brands.

Could this be managed by our press people?

Possibly, but it would require planning. Without a concrete proposal,
approved by the PPMC and trademarks that planning cannot begin to start. By
the time all this is done we'll be pretty close to an Apache release (if
some of the predictions I've read here are to be believed).

This conversation should have started months ago. I'll note that it did
happen on this list and the PPMC decided to focus on the work need for an
Apache release. This is the first that Team OOo have spoken of these plans.

Working out a way to do this outside of the normal trademark guidelines is
not going to be easy, especially without a proposal to consider.

Ross

> In some sense, that is even more reason, under normal conditions, to deny
> identification of that maintenance result with the OpenOffice.org name.
>
> The tension is that it is closer to an OpenOffice.org 3.3 maintenance
release
> than anything that will ever appear as Apache OpenOffice version-whatever.
> And more timely.  The question is under what conditions can this be
allowed to
> be identified as part of an OpenOffice.org 3.3.x progression?
>
>  - Dennis
>
> MUSINGS
>
> It seems to me that it is more straightforward to consider that the
> OpenOffice.org line has ended.  The only thing possible, now, are
derivatives
> of the LGPL OpenOffice.org code base (such as LibreOffice is already),
other
> existing peers of OpenOffice.org, and the reset that Apache OpenOffice
> represents (and its eventual derivatives too).
>
> In that regard, it would be more appropriate for the proposed 3.3.1
> maintenance release to be identified as a derivative (e.g., Team
OpenOffice
> 3.3.1).  It can make nominative use of OpenOffice.org in regard to it
being a
> maintenance derivative of OpenOffice.org 3.3 and that aspect is settled.
> Other trademark issues can be resolved with Team OpenOffice and,
meanwhile,
> the derivative can be a clean release with splash screens, About dialogs,
and
> other insignia that do not employ Apache trademarks and symbols in any way
> beyond non-confusing nominative usage.  There is now no confusion about
the
> roots of the release and its independence from Apache.
>
> On the OpenOffice.org site, it should be possible to identify the
existence of
> this derivative and link to a Team OpenOffice page that indicates its
> availability, solicits funds, or whatever, as a recognized peer.  It is
> possible to link to LibreOffice in the same manner, and also other
members of
> OpenOffice.org lineage and, other support for the ODF document format as
well.
> The emergence of Apache OpenOffice and the steps toward incubator
releases can
> also be featured, obviously.
>
> That, apart from complications concerning localizations and other
downstream
> support of the 3.3.1 including user support and bug reporting against the
> release, would seem to be that.  There is also the LGPL requirement that
the
> source code of the release be available.
>
> I suspect that there is a desire for closer coupling than that.  The
problem,
> of course, is that the Podling can do nothing with the OpenOffice.org 3.3
LGPL