incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 19:17:11 GMT
On 9 November 2011 07:26, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>
>> As a mentor, I have two comments:
>>
>> - When requesting a new mailing list, it is critical to clearly define the focus
and expected community that would use a list.  In particular, showing specific threads on
other lists that would be better moved to the new list is helpful to give others a detailed
explanation of the kinds of things a new list proposer would expect to see on the new list.

>> Creating new email lists is simple technically, but should be approached with caution
in terms of the effects of splitting community energy.

>> - I highly recommend that people view through the slides for the well-respected "How
Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People" set of slides:

>> https://sites.google.com/site/io/how-open-source-projects-survive-poisonous-people
>>
>> The talk is worth watching, but for those short on time the slides are worth reading.
 In particular, the aspects about how communities of many different kinds of people (the
vast majority who are not poisonous, by the way!) can effectively work together on public
mailing lists.  A key slide is pp 5, and pp7 as a followup:

>> "Attention and Focus
>> These are your scarcest resources
>> You must protect them"
>
> The hour spent watching this will be worth hours in reclaimed time and productivity!

+1000

This video really ought to be required watching for all subscribers to
any open source mailing list.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)