incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Process for deciding on branding strategy for our first release
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 09:37:11 GMT
On Nov 1, 2011 12:52 AM, "Simon Phipps" <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2011, at 00:44, Nóirín Plunkett wrote:
> >
> > My understanding is that this "oddity" came about because the
> > "OpenOffice" trademark is owned by another group (or groups?) in
> > various countries.
>
> That was indeed the case, but the number of places where there is an
overlapping registration has become very small due to great work by the Sun
trademark law team over the last few years.

> > I expect that we would require at least some
> > confidence that they wouldn't give us grief, if we were to call the
> > project Apache OpenOffice. (We'd also have to be careful to always use
> > the full name, and not to abbreviate to "OpenOffice")
>
> While I'd expect project members acting in an official capacity to be
very careful with how they cite the project name anyway (or face the Wrath
of Shane), abbreviating the name to "Open Office" or variants has been
common casual usage for years already with little consequence.

> S.

Also note that the "(Incubating)"is not optional at this point (I say this
because I was reading a slide deck this morning that did not make this
distinction).

Ross