incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS]+[VOTE] Trademark and Branding
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:06:11 GMT
On Nov 18, 2011 1:19 AM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:

> For the record, if one posts to ooo-dev without subscribing, there is no
way to know that posting succeeded, without looking on the archive.

True it is the responsibility of the poster

>There is also no way to see replies directly, unless other posters realize
that the poster is not subscribed and provide a direct CC:.

For a forum user this wouldn't be a problem since they have to go to a
website to see replies anyway. Sure they may have email notifications, but
then why not subscribe to the list.

> Although ooo-dev and ooo-user allow posting without subscribing (as do
the @openoffice.org lists), it is not necessarily very satisfying.  In
particular, replies to requests for assistance may be unseen in that case
and lead to difficulties when someone does not even realized they have
posted in public on an e-mail list.   Win some, lose some, choose your
poison.

Again, the experience of posting and reading via archives is very similar
to a forum. Not as tidy I agree, but sufficient for focused threads such as
a vote.

> It is true that there are some on the Forum threads who wanted to vote
without having to subscribe at all.  Of course, there was the problem of
even knowing how to vote and knowing whether it succeeded in that case.
 I'm not particularly sympathetic to that desire.  I'm not certain how I
would have responded, beyond answering the factual question, were I aware
of it at the time.

I agree, we don't need to be sympathetic in these cases. Our system does
not exclude anyone from participating.

Ross