incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Nóirín Plunkett <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Process for deciding on branding strategy for our first release
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 00:44:57 GMT
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> On 10/31/2011 8:01 PM, Terry wrote:
> ...snip...
>>
>> As far as the substance is concerned,
>>
>> 1.  Name:
>> The word 'Apache' has to be used.  'OpenOffice' has history and
>> familiarity.  The
>> suffix '.org' is no longer needed.  It was an oddity to name software with
>> the address
>> of a website.
>
> In particular, people should read:
>
>  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

My understanding is that this "oddity" came about because the
"OpenOffice" trademark is owned by another group (or groups?) in
various countries. I expect that we would require at least some
confidence that they wouldn't give us grief, if we were to call the
project Apache OpenOffice. (We'd also have to be careful to always use
the full name, and not to abbreviate to "OpenOffice")

Noirin