incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2011 00:26:03 GMT
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> rewrite should be.
> >
> > The subdomain and OOo / Collabnet / Kenai project is contributing.
> contributing.openoffice.org can have a permanent redirection wherever we
> decide. We can reduce all links to the old site to the index of the new
> Participate Page(s).
> >
> > The c.oo.o site currently has the following categories.
> >
> > Programming
> > Marketing
> > Quality Assurance
> > Graphics and Art
> > Writing
> > Helping Users
> > User Experience
> > Monetary Donations
> > Language Communities
> >
> > I think most of the categories should be kept.
> >
> > There is also a guideline. This should be replaced with an introduction
> to the Apache Way. There should be concrete examples of how users can find
> a ways to participate in the project within each category.
> >
> > Programming
> >        ooo-dev, svn, builds, ...
> > Marketing
> >        ooo-marketing, ...
> > Quality Assurance
> >        Bugzilla, ...
> > Graphics and Art
> >        Logos, icons, fonts, skins, ...
> > Writing
> >        Apache CMS, ODFAuthors, api docs, ...
> > Helping Users
> >        ooo-users, Forums
> > User Experience
> >        ?
> > Monetary Donations
> >        ASF donations and sponsorship links.
> > Language Communities
> >        Language Packs, N-L communities, what to do to add support for a
> language to AOO.
> >        NL Mailing lists, NL Forums.
> > Apache Software Foundation
> >        The Apache Way, Project Governance, ...
> >

> > The more I think about this the more I think these are podling pages.
> >

> What I see is this:
>
> 1) What we have at openoffice.org today for this page is pretty much
> 100% wrong.  It is useless or worse for anyone interested in learning
> how to participate in AOO.
>
> 2) Any prolonged development and planning effort around creating a new
> sub-site is equally ineffective, at least in the near term, since no
> users go to ooo-site.
>
> 3) From what I've been told, the plan is to switch the ooo-site live
> within a couple of weeks,
>
> So.... it seems to me that anything that can be done now, in the short
> term, is more useful.  We can always refine it over time, add to it.,
> expand it, make it more friendly, etc.  But almost anything is better
> than the 100% incorrect information that is on the website now.  So
> I'd recommend, per my original proposal, that we just put a 1-pager up
> for now, directing volunteers to ooo-dev.  Unless, of course, someone
> actually is volunteering to do more in this same timeframe.  Doing
> more later is fine as well.  But let's keep the focus on what can be

WOW! OK, lots to do in a rather short time period! I totally agree that the
current site says NOTHING about working with Apache. In some sense, we're
luck that none of the tab navigation elements came across, so, for now, we
need to deal with what's only linked from the home page as it stands!

> -Rob

MzK

 by the way its animals are treated."
                              -- Mohandas Gandhi