incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <>
Subject IP clearance for "jvm" was ...Re: Is the JRE license OK for inclusing in AOO?
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 22:13:48 GMT
I realize this thread is quite old, but...

should  a "jvm" in whatever form it takes (if required) be listed explcitly
in the IP Clearance doc? I don't know how the jvm is used code-wise so I
don't know the answer.

I don't see it. And, I thought at one time there was an issue (in terms of
development) with using openJDK over (was Sun) now Oracle JDK.   Can
someone enlighten a bit?

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin <> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <> wrote:
> <snip>
> > It is not clear to me that either of those bundlings in binary releases
> is
> > explicitly tolerated by the information that is provided at
> > <>.  There seems to be no help in
> the
> > older draft either: <>.  I also note
> that
> > if one is bundling the JVM or building Windows distributions, there are
> > library dependencies and API dependencies too, somewhere deep in the
> works.
> > (The LibreOffice folk have apparently stopped any JVM bundling but I
> don't
> > know what they do about Microsoft redistributables.)
> >
> > It seems that there is more that needs to be said about binary releases
> and
> > how non-source, restrictive-license redistributables are incorporated in
> those
> > releases to satisfy installation requirements and also provide run-time
> > services to an Apache release.  I thought I saw how that was tolerable
> so long
> > as no source was provided and the redistribution terms were honored,
> > was provided, etc.  I can't find anything clear-cut on looking again.
> IIRC Apache has historically strongly disliked but tolerated releases
> containing non-open-source but appropriately redistributable
> artifacts. When there is no clear consensus, there will be no clear
> policy.
> Would any of the open source options for executing Java code (Harmony,
> OpenJDK, etc) work?
> Robert

 by the way its animals are treated."
                              -- Mohandas Gandhi