incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GENERAL] status of legacy OOo site migration to ooo-site.apache.org
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 23:37:56 GMT
another short update on all this. It seems if I keep commit size down to
less than say 350M, things MOSTLY go OK unless I'm caught in the backup
cycle -- at which point my commit goes on forever and my terminal session
gets dropped. Oh well, at least svn seems to be able to "complete". Still
yesterday, I double checked the commit and did a cleanup to solve "lock"
problems I'd inadvertently caused before.

OK, I have the following areas left to fix (tomorrow): marketing (this is
BIG area), ux, and xml. Again, I will NOT be uploading the old
website/infrastructure area. I don't think there's anything there we can
use in our current operations.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> > Folks--
>> >
>> > I have been doing some cleanup/fixing of  the OOo legacy site as we're
>> > transporting to ooo-site.apache.org.
>> >
>> > The legacy site is QUITE large, and because of the more or less single
>> > trunk we have now, much of what I'm doing will no doubt affect your
>> local
>> > repository sizes. So, if you do an update soon, you will definitely
>> notice
>> > this.
>> >
>> > Nearly all of the legacy projects sites were incomplete with only one
>> level
>> > of information whereas most contain many sub-directories -- this is what
>> > I'm trying to fix.
>> >
>> > Monday and Tues, the following areas were fixed with the following
>> sizes by
>> > directory:
>> >
>> > qa: 679M
>> > api: 196M
>> > documentation: 2.3G
>> > dba: 37M
>> > bibliographic: 48M
>> >
>> > Hopefully by this coming Sunday, barring an unforeseen issues, I will
>> also
>> > "fix" (update) the following areas:
>> > external: 1.6M
>> > framework: 27M
>> > graphics: 3.3M
>> > gsl: 5.2M
>> > ui: 571M
>> > marketing: 1.6G
>> > xml: 41M
>> > ux: 170M
>> > tools: 359M
>> > udk: 69M
>> > ucb: 864K
>> > installation: 975M
>> > lingucomponent: 11M
>> > porting: 19M
>> > sc: 80M
>> > sw: 170K
>> >

>> You'll want to check with Infra@ for how much the SVN sync can take at
>> once.  My guess is these large chunks (975M, etc.) will need to be
>> broken up into smaller commits.
>>

>> > I might suggest that if you are on a system that allows it, that you
>> setup
>> > svn  "ignores" for whatever areas you're not interested in and see if
>> this
>> > prevents "loading" to your local repository. Other than that, i don't
>> have
>> > any suggestions.
>> >
>> > I know this is quite different than the very containized repositories
>> we've
>> > had in the past, so it might come as a bit of a shock.
>> >
>> > Currently, although we have back-ups of the old "incubator" areas, I'm
>> not
>> > sure what we'll bedoing with them.
>> >

>> > --

>> > MzK
>> >
>> > "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
>> >  by the way its animals are treated."
>> >                              -- Mohandas Gandhi
>> >

> --

> MzK
>
> "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged

MzK