incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:16:57 GMT
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > I agree that we can be quick. We will ask Apache Infra to permanently
> redirect contributing.openoffice.org to our new page either to
> >
> > http://ooo-site.apache.org/participate/
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/participate/
> >
> > As long as there is a simple page in place the infra change can proceed
> independently from the content correction.
> >

> >> 3) From what I've been told, the plan is to switch the ooo-site live
> >> within a couple of weeks,
> >
> > Well, next few weeks. I'm contemplating a more direct approach and
> pruning approach that must proceed specially for several subdomains.
> >
> > downloads.oo.o is another discussion and it goes as far away from the
> podling site as possible.
> >

> >> So.... it seems to me that anything that can be done now, in the short
> >> term, is more useful.  We can always refine it over time, add to it.,
> >> expand it, make it more friendly, etc.  But almost anything is better
> >> than the 100% incorrect information that is on the website now.  So
> >> I'd recommend, per my original proposal, that we just put a 1-pager up
> >> for now, directing volunteers to ooo-dev.  Unless, of course, someone
> >> actually is volunteering to do more in this same timeframe.  Doing
> >> more later is fine as well.  But let's keep the focus on what can be
> >> done in, say the next two weeks.
> >
> > Agreed. Keep it simple and then refine it. I think it will turn some
> attention to the AOO podling's story.
>

> Let's try to restart this thread, since it appears entropy got he best
> of it in the first try.
>
> We currently have this on the Podling website:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html
>
> Can we update that as needed and just direct the participate page to that?
>
> One higher level issue we have is that we have never reached consensus
> on how the Apache-domain project site and the openoffice.org site
> relate.  I'll start another thread on that/
>
> -Rob
>

> > Regards,
> > Dave
> >

> >> -Rob

Rob--We can certainly do this pretty quickly if that's what we TRULY want.
I don't see any responses to this in the last 4 days.

My only concern/objection is that if we did this, the "users" are bounced
out of the user portal and into what we are now considering the "developer"
portal, but, oh well.

How about if we don't hear any major objections by say, Dec. 1, I'll go
ahead and make this change (redirect contributing/index.html to this).
Nothing is in concrete, we can always go back or do something else.

MzK

 by the way its animals are treated."
                              -- Mohandas Gandhi