incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:09:14 GMT
2011/11/11 Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@openoffice.org>

> On 08/11/2011 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>
>> dictionaries are extensions. They have their place at
>> http://extensions.services.**openoffice.org/en/dictionaries<http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries>
>> The people actually developing the dictionary build the extension and
>> upload them to that site.
>> The same situation as before
>>

> Yes, except that for ordinary users there is a huge difference between a
> prepackaged dictionary (in the install set, I mean) and a manual
> post-install download.
>
> Excluding dictionaries from builds would result in confused/enraged users
> unless there is a way to make dictionary installation so smooth that users
> won't notice (but this is hard; Microsoft Windows users will get alarming
> warnings from their personal firewall if the OpenOffice.org installer tries
> to download a dictionary...).
>

> Yes, except that OOo builds did never distribute dictionaries outside
English, French and Italian (the Spanish dictionary was so useless that do
not count!): for most of AOOo users all around the world, the need to
download dictionaries and install them "by hand" will not be a new
experience.
Sure it is not an optimal situation, but IMO it is not so bad after all.
Cheers
Ricardo