incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lsuarezpo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interacting with (new) developers
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 04:42:44 GMT
Hi,

On 9 November 2011 17:25, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:25 AM, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> today I received this link:
>> http://bit.ly/tkr9Wn
>>

> good stuff! :)
>

>> This place is sometimes not very nice. There is a rough tone from time
>> to time which frustrates some of us (at least me).
>>
>> We should all try hard to make ooo a more friendly project. Because
>> "success" is more enjoyable if it can be received surrounded by  nice
>> people. After all many of us are not paid to do this job. Therefore we
>> should "pay" the mate on the other end of the e-mail client with
>> kindness.

I think we could do worse than do what we did when we started OOo. I
emphasized that all rudeness, as perceived by those affected and
offended, was unacceptable. A warning email was issued, and if it was
ignored, then the poster was removed. Sometimes, this got icky, but
not usually. And as a result, OOo was justly famed for having one of
the first set of lists pretty much devoid of rudeness on the part of
the developers and members, and perhaps not totally coincidentally, as
a generally good place for naive users, contributors and the like.
That there were (are) a large number of women participating is
probably a coincidence.

-louis

PS see  http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html