incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lsuarezpo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OOo Business...
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 22:53:25 GMT
Hi,

On 10 November 2011 17:17, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2011, at 2:05 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>
>> Rob,
>>

>> On 10 November 2011 16:09, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Could we use Bugzilla for this?  Even if the interface is too geeky
>>> for the requester, any of us could quickly transcribe the request into
>>> a new issue for tracking and workflow.
>>
>> Let's follow Don's and Dave's suggestions and then go from there. But
>> to answer your query: sure…. but imagine standing under a hot shower:
>> nice. Then imagine standing under a waterfall, say the Victoria Falls.
>>
>> Not nice.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Anything that places a human agent, especially unpaid, in the role of
>> doing something tedious but also important like this day in and day
>> out risks too much. It is better to take our experience seriously and
>> implement, as much as possible, vetted automagical tools that
>> nevertheless allow us room to scrutinize.
>
> If this truly is a fire hose of requests then it probably needs its own list which can
examined from time to time and then followed up on.

Uhm. I think a list is good… but. We did that at OOo, and it worked
so-so and then not well at all. We used logos@marketing, and the idea
was to make it open to all, so that they could freely and without
logging in ask for permission (my idea to ask for permission—heretical
in an open source environment, it seemed—but also pleasing to the
corporate owners to control distribution of the trademark or at least
know of its distribution). The result was the expected: Spam Heaven or
Hell, depending.

With time, we (Stefan, mainly) erected a Web front on services,
http://surveys.services.openoffice.org/surveys/index.php?sid=31881&lang=en,
though I don't know if it's operational, still (just checked and it
seems kaput). But it was a simple survey script asking fairly
innocuous questions that can and ought to be refined to suit the
present need.

Once a requester filled out the form and submitted it, the
responsables got it. In this case that meant those employed by Sun and
then Oracle and in leadership roles. Earlier, the request list
managing was pretty much delegated entirely to the Marketing leads.

For routine requests: humans did not have to do anything. If someone
wanted to deploy the trademark and agreed to do so according to the
rules and guidelines, great. If they had a more complicated request,
such as altering the code to include their contribution (say, a
proprietary extension), then this would be treated by a registered
human (me! or a reasonable facsimile thereof).

If someone was violating our trademark—this, shockingly, happens, even
now—I would proceed by sending notices and hint at darker powers (the
Sun or Oracle legal staff), escalating as needed. Usually wasn't
needed.

And so on. The idea was to minimize the human intervention and to make
it easier to promulgate and proliferate the app. and grow the
community.

> The subject controls the type and some set of PPMC volunteers can be delegated to check.
>
> How many requests are received in a month?

The quantity: Much of it when we only used the logos@ list, was spam.
When we started  using the Web interface, the number dropped
precipitously and it became manageable by regular humans. But once we
go public again with our new(ed) existence, I'd imagine that not only
would extant deployers want to use the new logo, but that there will
be a flood of new requests, and I think we ought to make it easier on
us all.

I can't give an accurate number right now, as the Web page is off. But
I'd say toward the end about 10 or so; but that was using the Web
interface, which evaded the spam effect.

> Regards,
> Dave

Cheers,
Louis