incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lsuarezpo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: oooforum.org
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:24:16 GMT
Hi

On 20 November 2011 13:02, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I suspect Louis was talking about the OpenOffice.org Community Forums that are already
hosted on Apache.

Actually, I was talking about both: the oooforums that were initially
not on Apache, I believe, was my focus. They were maintained by us,
specifically Clayton and then some others employed by Oracle and
working out of the Hamburg office, but were not hosted per se by
Oracle, though the licensing regime was identical, much to a lot of
people's dislike.

> Since oooforums has never been hosted by Sun/Oracle, it is a bit dicey how some sort
of merger might happen and why.

> On the other hand, neither OO.o Community and oooforums have a German Language forum.
 That is at http://www.oooforum.de aka de.OpenOffice.inf

There used to be such: now it's, uhm, elsewhere.

o.  OpenOffice.info also has a wiki and other European language
coverage too (Danish and Czech seem to be operating and not covered by
OO.o Community Forums).

> Some degree of informal Federation and cross-communication might be possible.  Consolidation
seems rather premature and such an offer might even be viewed as hostile.

We—or I—sketched out precisely such a federation a long time ago.
Didn't go far with Sun. The idea was that if a simple level of
compliance was reached, then there ought to be no reason not to
include the site(s) in the domain. License should be a vehicle for
market growth and contribution, not a shibboleth for exclusion.

Apache no doubt has superb systems already in place that we can benefit from….?

Louis