incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lsuarezpo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Old OOo Site
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 16:55:07 GMT
On 8 November 2011 11:49, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <louis@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I periodically (read: every day) receive requests from OOo community
>> members and OOo users to fix, alter or otherwise change the OOo site
>> (www.openoffice.org). These requests include such things as expunging
>> private information as well as normal updates.
>>
>> As we all know, the old OOo site is pretty much in the past, and we
>> are progressively moving to the new.
>>
>> But: I'd like to have some more concrete information to provide, and
>> ideally, be able to address the requests, too.
>>

> Hopefully there is not a lot of personal information on the public
> website.

There is not. We at OOo also had a high bar—OOo site was predicated on
the Apache model, and that's no coincidence: Brian B. had a hand in
both. However, personal info does creep in when people erroneously
post their private information, such as phone numbers, to public
lists, unaware—!!— just how public the lists are.

 But this does happen, with mailing list archives, for
> example.  Apache has a policy for this.  It essentially sets a high
> bar for removing information from public archives:
>
> http://apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html
>
> For other information on the website, I'd recommend having them enter
> an issue in Bugzilla, classified as the "www" product.  Hopefully
> we'll be cutting over to the new Apache-hosted version of these pages
> soon, and we can apply requested changes then.

Rob, you don't get just how naive some of the users of OOo are and how
naive even those posting to the lists were. Perhaps you are unaware of
how popular OOo remains? Few of these users would even know how to
file an issue.

> Of course, if there is something of a truly urgent nature, then
> escalate that, via ooo-private if appropriate.

I am referring to www.openoffice.org/ You have not answered the
question—but I didn't think you could. The point is double:

1. Can I alter the old site, www.openoffice.org/
2. When will the old site fully migrate to the new, and when that
happens, what sort of content control would I (or someone like me)
have?

thanks
louis