incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lsuarezpo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: oooforum.org
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:26:33 GMT
On 20 November 2011 15:48, Peter Roelofsen <p_roelofsen@tele2.nl> wrote:
> The situation at oooforum.org is highly problematic. On the one hand it
> still has a large collection of very valuable posts, I believe largely in
> the Code snippets and Macros and API forums (the main reason why some people
> still bother to fight a losing battle against the spammers). On the other
> hand, spammers have free rein there, as moderators and active admins don't
> have sufficient powers to stop a spammer dead in their tracks. The only
> active admins at the moment are Andrew Pitonyak and JohnV - and they can't
> decently ban a spammer, they can only delete their account - so that they
> can make a new one with the same e-mail address. Moderators (I'm one) can
> only delete posts and threads, and lock, move and split threads, they can't
> stop a spammer.
>
> In my view the best thing to do would be to have a script download all
> topics that are worth saving,m and after that inform the modes and lower
> admins to stop moderating the forum, so that the site admin, one Ed, will
> after a while close the place.

As with any value judgement…

How difficult would it be simply to port the entirety of the content
to a static site, close it to comments, point to it as needed, and
start fresh with a 1) server for user-contributor-developer forums and
b) policy enabling federation by domain (or so) inclusion of
sympathetic sites?

Louis