incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Foundation policy for email forwarding service
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:32:42 GMT
Hello everybody,

At the Board's face-to-face meeting here in Vancouver, we discussed
the issue of transferring [from Oracle to Apache] the set of
email-forwards for usernames in the openoffice.org domain. There are
certainly some legal concerns and some technical work to get through,
and I know the podling is working through that.

However, the Board felt it appropriate to set a general
Foundation-wide policy in terms of email forwarding services using the
Foundation's domains and brands. In short, *only* people directly
affiliated with the Foundation as a committer or Member are eligible
for email forwarding services using our domains.

The core of this issue is based on avoiding
confusion/misrepresentation based on sending email using our domains.
Just as I can no longer send mail using my old gstein@google.com or
gstein@microsoft.com addresses, we do not want to allow unaffiliated
third parties to send email using our brands/domains. Email addresses
using the @apache.org domain are provided for all committers once they
are voted/approved by one of our Project Management Committees (PMC)
and have returned an Individual Contributor License Agreement. Email
forwarding addresses using our other domains (such as @subversion.com,
@myfaces.org, or @openoffice.org) would be subject to all the above
rules, along with technical input and support from Infrastructure. The
PMCs associated with these extra domain(s) may set additional
requirements/policies, but the general recommendation of the Board is
to avoid all email forwarding services beyond @apache.org.

If you have any questions, then please feel to contact myself or the Board.

Cheers,
Greg Stein
Vice Chairman, Director,
Apache Software Foundation