incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: Proposal for retirement of email forwarder
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:55:44 GMT

On Nov 27, 2011, at 1:31 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Dave Fisher <> wrote:
>> On Nov 27, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> Good point.
>>> So what systems do you think might be sending a lot of emails at once
>>> to email addresses?
>>> 1) Legacy mailing lists
>>> 2) Bugzilla?
>>> Any others?
>>> Give the above, it probably makes sense if we first disable the legacy
>>> mailing lists, and only then disable the email forwarder.  That will
>>> eliminate the largest source of bounce notifications.
>> You should discuss the details with Andrew Rist.
>> Let's not forgot that we do not need the same urgency retiring email forwarders that
we require for migrating the website.
> I feel some urgency on retiring the email forwarder.  As I stated
> before, with 500,000 email addresses we cannot be certain that some
> are not being used by individuals impersonating official roles for the
> project.  That was hypothetical before.  But know we have evidence of
> actual instances of this.  Also, if you recall, the Board concerns
> about the service had nothing to do with the ease oir difficulty of
> migration.  It was on policy grounds.
> So I'm going to continue pushing for a coordinated, clean retirement
> of that service, along with the legacy mailing lists.

+1 then - let's just not tie it directly with the site migration. Even though the order might
change details we should each proceed semi-independently. If there are blanket changes you
would like to make in ooo-site let us know. Making blanket changes in Kenai is what I wish
to avoid.

> -Rob
>> Regards,
>> Dave