incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:39:21 GMT

On Nov 26, 2011, at 8:59 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

So

>> that?

>>> Rob--We can certainly do this pretty quickly if that's what we TRULY
>> want.
>>> I don't see any responses to this in the last 4 days.
>>>
>>> My only concern/objection is that if we did this, the "users" are bounced
>>> out of the user portal and into what we are now considering the
>> "developer"
>>> portal, but, oh well.
>>
>> This is a concern, but I think that this is the correct action - if a user
>> wants to participate then they are engaging at Apache.
>>
>> I think it will be important that the "get_involved" page has been updated
>> and that the PPMC (and our mentors) are happy with it.
>>

>>> How about if we don't hear any major objections by say, Dec. 1, I'll go
>>> ahead and make this change (redirect contributing/index.html to this).
>>> Nothing is in concrete, we can always go back or do something else.
>>
>> I am back home and will be thinking through a number of details and a
>> larger plan.
>>

> Oh good! We have LOTS of details to work out that's for sure. I hope I can
> accomplish the redirect through a meta redirect in a header for now -- thus
> preserving the content. However, with the current CMS, hmmm....not sure if
> I can get this to work. We'll see.

We can just redirect everything that is contributing.openoffice.org to wherever we decide.
We'll do this on migration with HTTPD configuration. On www. we should just change the URL.

As far as preserving the old - at this point I think we should tag the directory in svn and
then remove it. You have a copy in your people as well.

Regards,
Dave