incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Time for the ASF to send an Open Letter?
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:42:35 GMT

On Nov 15, 2011, at 3:57 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 15 November 2011 18:31, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> Why the AL is important for such a "standard"
>> such as Open Office and ODF;
>
> Hey, we can even quote Stallman there.
>
> I'm not sure I'm +1 on an open letter or not. I certainly like Rob's
> manifesto/top ten type idea. I'm not sure we need something that might
> be seen as aggressive, if the TDF as a whole really reacted the way we
> were told then such a letter may be seen as an attack on the TDF
> itself, rather than an attempt to address FUD from a few.

I like the "manifesto/top ten type" idea, but I also feel the
need for an Open Letter as well. For example, I have heard
from reliable sources that some companies have been "convinced"
that they should not donate any patches to AOOo and instead should
donate them to another entity. An open letter could describe why
this is harmful to the entire OOo ecosystem.

Let's see how far the manifesto/top ten type idea goes and maybe
I'll be appeased ;)