incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: The Old OOo Site
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 17:05:05 GMT

On Nov 8, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> On 8 November 2011 11:49, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <louis@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I periodically (read: every day) receive requests from OOo community
>>> members and OOo users to fix, alter or otherwise change the OOo site
>>> (www.openoffice.org). These requests include such things as expunging
>>> private information as well as normal updates.
>>>
>>> As we all know, the old OOo site is pretty much in the past, and we
>>> are progressively moving to the new.
>>>
>>> But: I'd like to have some more concrete information to provide, and
>>> ideally, be able to address the requests, too.
>>>

>> Hopefully there is not a lot of personal information on the public
>> website.
>
> There is not. We at OOo also had a high bar—OOo site was predicated on
> the Apache model, and that's no coincidence: Brian B. had a hand in
> both. However, personal info does creep in when people erroneously
> post their private information, such as phone numbers, to public
> lists, unaware—!!— just how public the lists are.
>
>  But this does happen, with mailing list archives, for
>> example.  Apache has a policy for this.  It essentially sets a high
>> bar for removing information from public archives:
>>
>> http://apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html
>>
>> For other information on the website, I'd recommend having them enter
>> an issue in Bugzilla, classified as the "www" product.  Hopefully
>> we'll be cutting over to the new Apache-hosted version of these pages
>> soon, and we can apply requested changes then.
>
> Rob, you don't get just how naive some of the users of OOo are and how
> naive even those posting to the lists were. Perhaps you are unaware of
> how popular OOo remains? Few of these users would even know how to
> file an issue.
>

>> Of course, if there is something of a truly urgent nature, then
>> escalate that, via ooo-private if appropriate.
>
> I am referring to www.openoffice.org/ You have not answered the
> question—but I didn't think you could. The point is double:
>
> 1. Can I alter the old site, www.openoffice.org/

Yes, but please keep us informed as a lot has been ported to ooo-site.apache.org

> 2. When will the old site fully migrate to the new, and when that
> happens, what sort of content control would I (or someone like me)
> have?

The whole of the new site at ooo-site is under the Apache CMS and can be edited with the webgui
by a committer. Patches accepted from others.

See the podling site for instructions. Others can give details as I have to run.

BR,
Dave