incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:17:54 GMT

On Nov 5, 2011, at 10:05 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> So, this exceptionalism for "friends for Rob" is being offered, without consideration
at all for those friends of OpenOffice.org who have relied on those e-mail forwardings and
proudly organized their e-mail existence around that affiliation.  This smells a bit like
mit.alumni.edu (or whatever the domain is) dropping all of those graduates who fail to sustain
some sort of annual gift level.

>> Why can't the focus be on achieving the best possible result for all of those folks?
>>

> I'm looking for what's best for the project, Dennis.  If someone was
> using an openoffice.org address for reporting defects to the project,
> and the only way to contact them is through that address, then the
> project benefits if we can ensure our ability to contact them.  if
> they were using their openoffice.org address for other things,
> unrelated to the project, then that is not our concern.  AOOo is not
> the ISP to the world.
>
> In any case, I suggest we pick a drop dead date, say in 2 weeks time.
> If no one has come up with a better plan at that point, then we go
> ahead with notifications via the addresses that are publicly
> available, via BZ, etc., as well as prominent notifications on the
> website and mailing list.  We should risk dropping all of the users
> without notification, and at very short notice,  if we do nothing but
> hold out for the unlikely perfect solution.  The perfect is the enemy
> of the good, etc.

I'm not sure if Apache James[1] is a possible platform for this email forwarder, but anyone
attending Apachecon might consider the "Fast Feather" session Wednesday - 4 mailbox technologies
with James mail server 3.0 - with Eric Charles[2]

Oh and something really cool that merits another thread - if you go to the James site click
on the "Call For Logo" tab! It has an interactive way of presenting and previewing logo choices.
They plan to vote on submitted choices.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://james.apache.org/