incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 10:55:35 GMT
Hi Ross,

Le 9 nov. 11 à 11:34, Ross Gardler a écrit :

>> The link I have i mind is :
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Use_of_MailList
>> Everything is clearly explained and seems to be well accepted.
>
> Pointing to a document foundation wiki page and claiming is well
> accepted in an Apache project is not really appropriate.

Sorry, I wanted to show I was open, and when something is good, I
don't fear to recognize it is.

> That being said if you think the AOOo project ought to adopt a
> similar policy for its lists then lets discuss that.

What about do even better then ?  :-)

>>> Creating new email lists is simple technically, but should be
>>> approached
>>> with caution in terms of the effects of splitting community energy.
>>>

>> It is not convinced you split energy separating pure development
>> and what is not. There is a dynamic on ooo-dev list, in the sense
>> people producing code
>> ( anything producing website or something close to code) are
>> active and start working together.
>
> There is an argument to be made for providing an avenue for non-
> development discussions. The problem (as I see it) with this
> request is that it is for a list without a clearly defined objective.
> OOO-discuss does not have a clear objective. Is it a user list? Is
> it a bud discussion list? A feature request list? A policy
> discussion list? Some other discuss list?

You are right, I was not enough precise, and any help to improve /
rewrite my proposal is welcome.

>> The problem is, the number of posts is too high for a development
>> list, and that's mainly why I suggested to create a new list.
>
> This may be true. However, we have discussed list creation before
> and we agreed to adopt a practice of "tagging" posts appropriately
> until such a time as a single topic are was too overwhelming.
> Perhaps that time has come and a second more focussed list is needed.

Yes, perhaps.

> However, the place to discuss this is not OOo-private and in any
> case the list will not be approved if the only justification is to
> hide the "the noise we currently observe with ooo-dev mailing list"

I assume to word : noise is relative, and depends on the case. Review
a patch on ooo-marketing mailing list is not well accepted either  :-)

> A much more healthy reaction is to manage the OOo-dev list better
> (unless you are saying we need a user list, for example).

In fact my proposal was an open door to improvement, and I expected
opinions, people who disagree and other answers .. and so on.

I'm confident somebody will have a good idea soon :-)

Regards,
Eric Bachard

--
qɔᴉɹə