incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis R Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Non-Apache maintenance release for OOo 3.3?
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:06:48 GMT
Hi,

On 2011-11-16, at 20:23 , Rob Weir wrote:

> This topic sounds important, so I'm moving it to its own thread.
>
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Martin Hollmichel
> <martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> removal of the Oracle branding is the easy part. As said before, having a
>> joint messaging with ASF about this release and the future releases is some
>> work to do. Adopting references from old OpenOffice.org instances (forums,
>> mailing lists, issue tracking) to the new ones in the ReadMe File is another
>> issue we are still working on.
>>

> It is hard to think about a joint message when we know almost nothing
> about what you are doing.  What we're doing here at Apache is clear --
> you see our mailing lists, wiki, SVN repository, etc.  It is all very
> open and transparent.
>
> Do you have a mailing list or something that we can subscribe to?
> Could you say a little about what your short term and longer term
> goals are?
>
> -Rob

Can I suggest an agenda for a meeting—teleconference, I suppose, or its newfangled equivalent—where
we place those items that Martin (hi Martin) mentions as well as the concerns Rob expresses?

That is:

* Role of Team OOo going forward and its relation to Apache OO
* Obligations in fulfilling this role
* Work to do to finalize the migration

And so on.

But a general caveat, worthy of a new subject line when it comes due:

Please, let's not repeat the mistakes of OOo's governance architecture. :-) As we used to
say last century, been there, done that.

Please, let's focus on development here, and provide the space (or frontier, finally) for
user-focused sites affiliated (federated) with the effort here. For what we found difficult,
and not just because of Sun's or Oracle's interests, was in reconciling the developer focus
of OOo with the large enduser communities. I would much rather have separate foci, but not
sacrifice communication between the two. (Developers need to attend to endusers, and vice
versa.)  One thing that is really important here is the manifold of ecosystems constituting
the wider OOo community.

>> The coding work we've done in the 3.3.1 is about some security and bugfixing
>> issues,
>>
>> Martin

Louis