incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 02:56:43 GMT

On Nov 10, 2011, at 3:18 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:

> On 08/11/2011 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> dictionaries are extensions. They have their place at
>> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries
>> The people actually developing the dictionary build the extension and
>> upload them to that site.
>> The same situation as before
>
> Yes, except that for ordinary users there is a huge difference between a prepackaged
dictionary (in the install set, I mean) and a manual post-install download.

> Excluding dictionaries from builds would result in confused/enraged users unless there
is a way to make dictionary installation so smooth that users won't notice (but this is hard;
Microsoft Windows users will get alarming warnings from their personal firewall if the OpenOffice.org
installer tries to download a dictionary...).

Do you have a proposal as to how we can handle this under Apache? In an ideal world, we would
have ALv2 dictionaries that would depend on an ALv2 version of something like Hunspell.  But...
   That's not are situation.

How do you suggest we produce an Apache compliant product that has all of the features expected
by our users?

Andrew