incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject [Code] strategy for "child works spaces"
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 07:56:12 GMT
Disclaimer:  this list is not easy to read, and if the topic was
already discussed. In this case, thanks in advance to provide me the
right link :-)

Hi,

I perfectly know the importance of the IP clearance, but in parallel,
we'll need to work on the code, say "partialy" (e.g. vcl + sd +
slideshow only). In OOo we used child work spaces in that purpose,
but I'm not sure we defined something similar yet with Apache
OpenOffice.org.

Obviously, some parts of the IP clearance could be achieved this way
too.

Thus, my questions are :

- what is the current strategy ?
- how does it work with svn ?  And if there is something existing, is
the "methodology" available on the wiki ?

To contribute to the debate, I'd suggest several mnimalistic rules :

Methodology :

1. when starting working on a feature, an improvement or whatever,
create an issue, as "reference" : ( https://issues.apache.org/ooo/ )
2. inform the ooo-dev list with a subject like : [topic] working at
something
3. if possible, try to describe the work in progress, on a wiki page.
Sort of a draft, containing the story, and/or whatever helpfull for
the developers.
4. (crazy idea) : do an "IRC ClassRoom" around the topic ?
(questions, ideas, where / what in the code and so on, brainstorming,
and keep the log)

Some examples from OOo4Kids wiki (to show the principle with the wiki):

- How cursors work in OpenOffice.org:  http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/
index.php/AddNewCursors
- Password protected preferences : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/
PasswordProtectedPreferences
- Math sources description : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/
ImproveMathEquationEditor/SourcesDescription

As you can see, the point is not to write stupid administrative
specs, but to accompany the feature implementation, and invite to ask
questions (and answr them if possible). Plus share the knowledge, of
course.

To improve the commit system :

5. before to commit, the commiter must build and verify the change
will not introduce a build breaker. Else, inform and ask for a review
on the ooo-dev list, in case of doubts.

Thanks in advance,
Eric Bachard

--