incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2011 15:26:40 GMT

On Nov 8, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> As a mentor, I have two comments:
>
> - When requesting a new mailing list, it is critical to clearly define the focus and
expected community that would use a list.  In particular, showing specific threads on other
lists that would be better moved to the new list is helpful to give others a detailed explanation
of the kinds of things a new list proposer would expect to see on the new list.

> Creating new email lists is simple technically, but should be approached with caution
in terms of the effects of splitting community energy.

> - I highly recommend that people view through the slides for the well-respected "How
Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People" set of slides:

> https://sites.google.com/site/io/how-open-source-projects-survive-poisonous-people
>
> The talk is worth watching, but for those short on time the slides are worth reading.
 In particular, the aspects about how communities of many different kinds of people (the vast
majority who are not poisonous, by the way!) can effectively work together on public mailing
lists.  A key slide is pp 5, and pp7 as a followup:

> "Attention and Focus
> These are your scarcest resources
> You must protect them"

The hour spent watching this will be worth hours in reclaimed time and productivity!

Thanks,
Dave