incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] Shut-down of all name@ openoffice.org e-mail addresses
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 01:41:25 GMT
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the clarity.

On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:47 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> ezmlm and qmail are married packages.
> qmail is an MTA and ezmlm is a qmail app
> for managing mailing lists.

Thanks.

> Given the surprises I've seen here by folks
> getting used to the whole ezmlm feature-set,
> I'm confident that Oracle is using something
>
> other than that for ooo.

They are using SYMPA. They allow html. They allow bad SPF.

> Postfix is what I'd recommend we use for dealing
> with the forwarding needs, but postfix isn't compatible
> with ezmlm so we'd need to run that on a separate
> host.
>
> What I'm trying to point out for you here is that
> the mail server software I'd recommend for forwarding handling
> and the software I'd prefer using for ML's are incompatible
> with each other, and I'm not going to run some crazy
> scheme to try and divvy up the domain between two
> separate mail servers.
>
> Pick your poison in other words, either the focus is
> on ML's, in which case forwarding addresses only get
> support limited to a select few (committers say).
> Otherwise the focus is on forwarding addresses, in which
> case someone other than infra will be responsible for
> the upkeep of the mailing list infra for ooo.

Are the following two configurations accurate statements of what you would support.

Configuration A - ezmlm/qmail on the usual ASF MTA

330 OOo MLs w/o subscribers forward to project MLs.
<100 committers/PPMC members with OOo forwards to either an external email or their apache
forwarder. Just the apache address?

Configuration B - postfix on a jail maintained by the project

330 OOo MLs w/o subscribers forward to project MLs.
<100 committers/PPMC members with OOo forwards to either an external email or their apache
forwarder.
>20,000 BZ OOo forwarders to external emails.
Volunteers for postfix admin.

I personally prefer Configuration A.

Let's see if we get Consensus, or if we need a vote.

We don't need to hurry the MTA migration as much as other OOo services.

Regards,
Dave

> HTH
>

>> ________________________________

forwarding database? and you don't want that "feature" in ezmlm?

>> If every email to openoffice.org is either forwarded according to a database or bounced.
 If there are no or the minimum required by internet protocols mboxes on the openoffice.org
MX.

>> What is the threshold for being incorporated into the ASF's normal ezmlm? If all
of the forwarders were to apache.org addresses would that work?

>> I guess I don't understand the complexities of Apache's MTA.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:05 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>
>>> ________________________________

Kay and Rob are emailing these lists and informing about the new lists.

>>> Personally I have no interest in maintaining whatever mailing list software
>>> Sun/Oracle chose for managing their lists.  OTOH my experience with qmail
>>> suggests that such software doesn't have a lot of maintenance requirements,
>>> so if a reasonable plan were developed for migrating the lists to some ASF
>>> host that was careful not to preserve list subscriptions, I'd be willing to
>>> help with the transition.
>>>
>>> But over time, because this service isn't a part of our main ezmlm-based
>>> mailing-list infra, we'd probably not want to be involved in its upkeep,
>>> and that means we'd be more than happy to shut it down if time proves
>>> that nobody else here wants to be bothered with that either.
>>>

>>> The PMC will need to sort out how to allocate its resources given that
>>> constraint.  Infra is happy to assist, and willing to investigate ways
>>> of incorporating openoffice.org lists into our ezmlm-based infra, but
>>> that effort will be terminally hampered by the presence of all those
>>> ooo forwarding addresses that I won't ever expose to qmail.  Sorry.

revolving around their OOo forwarder.

I would say to their apache id, but I bet many people in the project have their apache id
pointing at openoffice.org. (There might be Apache committers unrelated to AOOo with their
apache id forwarding to OOo.)

>>> Value judgements aren't things I'm equipped to make for the PMC.  I'm
>>> more than happy to evalate the technical feasibility or lack thereof
>>> for providing an indefinite period of support for select forwarding
>>> addresses based on how the ML situation is to be dealt with.

OOo in other systems where we think it would be good to continue for some time measured in
months. Rob has numbers in the 40,000 or 80,000 range.