incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2011 04:05:56 GMT

On Nov 25, 2011, at 3:16 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> I agree that we can be quick. We will ask Apache Infra to permanently
>> redirect contributing.openoffice.org to our new page either to
>>>
>>> http://ooo-site.apache.org/participate/
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/participate/
>>>
>>> As long as there is a simple page in place the infra change can proceed
>> independently from the content correction.

>>> Well, next few weeks. I'm contemplating a more direct approach and
>> pruning approach that must proceed specially for several subdomains.
>>>
>>> downloads.oo.o is another discussion and it goes as far away from the
>> podling site as possible.

>>> Agreed. Keep it simple and then refine it. I think it will turn some
>> attention to the AOO podling's story.
>>

>> Let's try to restart this thread, since it appears entropy got he best
>> of it in the first try.
>>
>> We currently have this on the Podling website:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html
>>
>> Can we update that as needed and just direct the participate page to that?
>>
>> One higher level issue we have is that we have never reached consensus
>> on how the Apache-domain project site and the openoffice.org site
>> relate.  I'll start another thread on that/
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Dave

> Rob--We can certainly do this pretty quickly if that's what we TRULY want.
> I don't see any responses to this in the last 4 days.
>
> My only concern/objection is that if we did this, the "users" are bounced
> out of the user portal and into what we are now considering the "developer"
> portal, but, oh well.

This is a concern, but I think that this is the correct action - if a user wants to participate
then they are engaging at Apache.

I think it will be important that the "get_involved" page has been updated and that the PPMC
(and our mentors) are happy with it.

> How about if we don't hear any major objections by say, Dec. 1, I'll go
> ahead and make this change (redirect contributing/index.html to this).
> Nothing is in concrete, we can always go back or do something else.

I am back home and will be thinking through a number of details and a larger plan.

Regards,
Dave