incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Buildbot and API Reference Docs [Was: Re: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites]
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:39:46 GMT
On 11/27/11 10:52 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2011, at 2:30 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

>>> Jurgen--
>>>
>>> Everything form the old "api" site is available via --
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/api/
>>>
>>> just plain ole html...I don't think you should have any problems
>>
>> ok thanks. One concern i had in the past and will have it now is that the generated
reference docu have to be checked in. I would prefer a place where i simply could secure copy
the generated files. But important for the near future is of course that we have everything
in place, have it under our control and can work on future improvements.

> I agree and I would like to discuss the api generation process now so that we can get
it right. I've always expected this to be special.

> Please describe how the API reference documents come out the process.

The API reference is build as part of the SDK (in the odk module). Means
a developer build of the SDK contains always the latest reference. For
every release i have update the reference document on api.openoffice.org
with the released version. No backup (online) for older versions.

> If it can easily be part of the Ubuntu buildbot that is being worked on then I propose
the following:

> (1) The buildbot is enhanced to always update the podling site with the bleeding edge
of the api documentation. The Apache CMS also uses buildbot and this should not be hard to
automate at all. It could be at i.a.o/openofficeorg/api/ and updated daily.

> (Andrew and Gavin am I correct?)

sounds good, but we should definitely identify this version a developer
preview version

> (2) The pages at www.openoffice.org/api/* are always the api from the latest release
- currently 3.3.0, but perhaps TOOo 3.3.1 followed by AOO copied from podling at release.
This starts with what Kay has imported.

agree, we should have always one official version in place where i would
like to provide the search features.

> This allows users to have the API for the release and the project developers to always
see a current build which any committer can fix and any contributor can submit a patch.

> Having two sites works to our advantage. In the Apache POI project's mailing lists we
often have to explain that the API documents at poi.apache.org are from the current trunk
and that those for a release are part of the release package. We won't have the problem.

> Our general rule should be that openoffice.org is for the current (and legacy) releases
and the podling site is the dynamic place that shows our activity.

sounds good to me

Juergen