incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: [Code] issue 118623: Update Rhino from 1.5R5 to 1.7R3
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:41:23 GMT
On 29.11.2011 17:17, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Andre Fischer<af@a-w-f.de>  wrote:

>>> So the entire OfficeScriptInfo.java was included in a patch, and that
>>> patch was included in the SGA?  If that is true, then I believe we may
>>> update the license header in the source file.
>>>
>>> Think of it this way:  The SGA is what puts these files under ALv2.
>>> Updating the license header is how we document this fact, so it is
>>> clear to downstream consumers exactly what files are under ALv2.
>>

>> Good, I was hoping for this answer.
>>
>> And I have another question.  Can/should we download the source or even the
>> binaries (keep in mind that rhino is a Java library, so the binary is a JAR
>> file) directly from the mozilla servers or should we update the rhino tar
>> ball in ext_sources?
>>

> I'm working on another Apache podling (ODF Toolkit) where we use
> Maven.  So no third party components are stored in SVN.  JAR's are
> downloaded at build time.  That is the Maven model.  So that is
> certainly permitted.
>
> IMHO, I'd look at the stability of the host.  If we have a dependency
> on a long-established,
check
> well-known,
check
> widely-used open source component
check
> that is not tremendously large, then we could safely download it it
> build time.  (Assuming the license is compatible, of course).

The size should not be a problem in general as you have to download it
anyway, either from our SVN server or from its home server.

> But if it is a component that we worry might disappear tomorrow, or
> the host is not very attentive to preserving stability of URL
> references, or they commonly delete old binaries when updating their
> component,  then having a copy in SVN could be a good idea.
>
> The idea should be (I believe) to support some sort of release policy
> where we have something like "Long term stable" releases as well as
> more frequent feature releases.  For an LTS release we would want to
> be able to spin a new maintenance release 18 months from now.  What do
> we need to do to be sure that everything we depend on is still there?

In this case, with the source code hosted at mozilla.org I see no
problem.  But in general we probably have to keep a copy in SVN, just to
be sure.

If there are no objections then I will give the download a try.
Adapting the fetch_tarballs.sh script should not be too hard.  If that
does not work out, we can still put a copy of the rhino library into
ext_sources.

-Andre