incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: What about BrOffice?
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:26:01 GMT
Am 11/28/2011 07:43 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Pedro Giffuni<pfg@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Hi guys;
>>
>> I am not meaning to alienate the Brazilian community or
>> anything like that. Just wondering if there are thoughts
>> on BrOffice brand and releases.
>>
>> AFAICT, BrOffice is not a trademark SUN owned so it was
>> not transferred to the ASF. I think the BrOffice people
>> will have to make a proposal to the PPMC but just some
>> points to wonder about:
>>

> IMHO, the name "BrOffice" is different enough from "OpenOffice" that
> there is not a problem here from the AOO perspective.  But if someone
> else owns the trademark for "BrOffice" then that might be a different
> problem.
>
>> - Are we (AOO) allowed to carry BrOffice branding stuff
>> in our repository at all?
>
> Why would we want to do that?

FYI:

In the past Sun/Oracle has done special builds for the Brazilian
community as the usual name was occupied. However, in the last builds we
have canceled to build BrOffice install files and have done normal OOo
builds also for the pt-BR local, too (see
"download.openoffice.org/other.html" and
"download.openoffice.org/all_beta.html" for reference).

However, I don't know if branding stuff (graphics, icons, etc.) is in
the code at all but some brand names and similar things should be still
there. So, this should be deleted now.

> Is there a problem with just having a Brazilian Portuguese release of
> Apache OpenOffice using the name "Apache OpenOffice"?  That would be
> the simplest thing to do.

Yes, "Apache OpenOffice" should be different enough.

At Sun/Oracle we had already the "problem" of difference names
(StarOffice and StarSuite) for difference markets. Let's try this time
to stick with a single name. :-)

Marcus