incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Business models that will not work [was: Re: Can we update our migration status table?]
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:46:29 GMT
Am 11/28/2011 06:11 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>> Am 11/28/2011 05:48 AM, schrieb Dave Fisher:
>
> <snip>
>

>>> I changed the MirrorBrain row to make it clear that this issue only
>>> effects the legacy OOo downloads. All AOO releases will be on the Apache
>>> Mirror system.
>>>
>>> Perhaps download.services.openoffice.org is one way that AOO can team up
>>> with TOOo?
>>
>> Maybe not a bad idea. AOO will take care of the code and produces the source
>> release (and maybe also some binary releases) and hosting of install files
>> can be done by TOO. Could be a good thing of collaboration.
>
> So I'm afraid that business models based on things like this are doomed to fail:
>
> [Deleted that stuff as I wasn't talking about businesses]
>
> Business models that might work, include:
>
> 1) Having a derivative of OpenOffice under a different name that
> distinguishes itself in some way that users value, and by building a
> unique brand name around these values, get traffic to your website,
> where you can then sell ads, ask for contributions, etc.

As there will be no future release of OOo (when we skip the *maybe*
3.3.1 release) this is no option. Of course it has to be a different name.

> 2) Having an independent company that is clearly distinguished from
> Apache and the AOO, that accepts donations or payment to add features
> or fix bugs in AOO.  Of course, one needs to be sensitive to the fact
> that you can never guarantee that a given feature will be accepted by
> other committers.

... except when doing it themselves. ;-) When there is an already
settled committer then you can do the commits yourself. I hope that new
(well-planned and well-structured) features will be welcome.

> 3) Deployment, migration services, customization, training, extension
> development for enterprise users of OpenOffice.

Yes, the typical options around open source software because with the
application itself you cannot make single a penny.

> Perhaps there are other good business models?

Marcus