incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Can we update our migration status table?
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:18:43 GMT

On 2011-11-27 9:53 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2011, at 6:20 PM, TJ Frazier wrote:
...snip...
>> Two quick comments: (1) We're seriously abandoning Registration? I
>> wonder what Marketing (ours and ASF's) thinks about that?

Who is "Marketing"?

People like the most excellent Sally, VP of Marketing & Publicity for
the ASF are primarily here to provide additional services for Apache
projects that ask for them - not to direct how Apache projects do their
marketing.  So any marketing that this PPMC thinks it needs is what to
consider, not what someone else says you need.

> While we must abandon the registration in the Kenai database at
> Oracle. We need not abandon registration. As far as I can tell there
> are new constraints.
>
> (a) We need volunteers to propose how they are willing to work to
> replace it with a new registration system. (b) That system must not
> provide an openoffice.org email forwarder / anonymous email address.
> (c) It will be a completely new and fresh registration database. (d)
> Apache Infrastructure needs to be asked to host it, or the PPMC will
> need to agree about an external location. (e) The volunteers will
> need to be able to maintain the system.
>
> Strange idea. Is it possible to make either MediaWiki or Bugzilla
> registration double as user registration?
>
> Our mentors will no doubt think of a couple more requirements.

- If you want it, have a specific and detailed proposal that includes
how to maintain the registration database with PPMC volunteers in the future

- Do not expose the ASF or this project to any additional legal risks,
especially considering privacy laws (for example, in the US or Europe)

>> (2) Both Registration and Crash Reporter have code links, i.e.,
>> will require code changes in the product so that users aren't sent
>> to dead ends.
>
> Does the project want a Crash Reporter? Possibly again volunteers
> with a proposal and negotiation with Infrastructure are needed.
>
> Regards, Dave

Personally I'm -0 on a user registration, but +1 on crash reporting if
there's PPMC energy to make it happen.  As the only major end-user
facing project at Apache, getting better details from crash reports
would be very useful.

- Shane