incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for retirement of openoffice.org email forwarder
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:50:08 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> So what systems do you think might be sending a lot of emails at once
> to openoffice.org email addresses?
> 1) Legacy OpenOffice.org mailing lists
> 2) Bugzilla?
> Any others?

I think Bugzilla is the one more likely to send mass e-mails to
openoffice.org addresses; I've seen that now Bugzilla e-mails come from
a no-reply address, so the bounce messages would probably bounce back,
but I'm sure system administrators are savvy enough to do the right thing.

Mailing lists shouldn't be very problematic since a fraction of users
use their openoffice.org address for mailing lists, and many of them do
it because thay are involved with the project, so they are likely to be
informed. However, it would be very annoying that everybody sending a
mail to a mailing lists receives a bounce message back; but, again, this
can probably be handled when the bounce mechanism is configured.

Extensions and templates should be considered too: right now,
authentication on both sites relies on openoffice.org addresses, see
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Extensions+and+templates
The system might thus store the openoffice.org forwarder as the
extension publisher's e-mail, so it might happen (I can't check it) that
if the openoffice.org e-mail forwarders are shut down, then it becomes
impossible to contact publishers of any extensions/templates. Whatever
the destiny of the extensions/templates sites will be, it would be
important to keep the possibility to contact all of their users (i.e.,
extensions/templates publishers) at due time.

Regards,
   Andrea.