incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:16:20 GMT
Am 25.11.2011 15:16, schrieb Andre Fischer:

> On 25.11.2011 14:59, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>> On 25.11.2011 10:38, Andre Fischer wrote:
>>> Hi Mathias,

>>> When we are just packaging them, then why not just provide the ready
>>> made extensions and either bundle them or place them on the extension
>>> repository. Which, by the way, already contains more spell-checking
>>> extensions than the dictionaries module?
>>
>> Mainly because we package some content from our side together with the
>> dic files. That must be done somewhere, and until now it was desired
>> that this "somewhere" is inside the OOo build process.
>
> But what about the extensions in the repository that do not have a
> counterpart in the dictionaries module?  They have to come from
> somewhere, too.  I know, that it is a frequently used pattern in OOo to
> have at least two ways of doing things.  Maybe we can use this occasion
> to remove one?

If it was so easy.

Having dictionaries in the code repository was a way to make sure that
we can provide them even if noone else maintains the dic files and
packages them as extensions.

I agree that if we had a safe home for all the dictionary extensions it
would be easier to use the packages provided from there. The question
remains if there is such safe home.

Regards,
Mathias