incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re:
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:55:34 GMT
Gianluca Turconi wrote:
> Il 24/11/2011 17.39, Ariel Constenla-Haile ha scritto:
>> Dictionaries are developed by individuals/entities outside OOo,
>> they were never developed inside the OOo source tree. I'm not sure
>> what was the procedure (sure Gianluca can comment), but it seems like
>> these dictionaries were updated on request, not developed by OOo.
> Surely, the community developed the dictionaries and there were specific
> *external* projects that worked on several dictionaries.

Yes, so in a sense they were developed by OOo, meaning by the community, but development happened (happens!) outside
the code repository and the sources are periodically
synchronized with the external repositories, usually before a release.

> My main worry is to provide to the users, at *download time*, *all*
> tools they may need for a functional Office Suite, without forcing them
> to browse one or more external websites for important add-ons like the
> linguistic tools.

This would be a start, but (not talking licenses here, we have plenty of
other discussions about that!) providing the users at INSTALLATION time
with a dictionary or the way to obtain it is equally important to me; we
could easily do both, anyway. Of course this mainly concerns Windows users.

>> An official binary release without the three linguistic components is
>> a NO-GO (IMO).
> a big +1 from me.

Sure. I don't even know if all thesauri can work properly without
Hunspell being enabled and the corresponding spellchecker working. I
never tried building without Hunspell, but I think that the English
thesaurus relies on the English spellchecker to perform advanced
operations, i.e., given that "feline" is a synonym of "cat" deducing (by
Hunspell rules) that "felines" is a synonym of "cats". I've always
assumed this depends on Hunspell, but, again, I never tried building
without Hunspell and I would be curious to know if it breaks in that case.

View raw message