incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:55:34 GMT
Gianluca Turconi wrote:
> Il 24/11/2011 17.39, Ariel Constenla-Haile ha scritto:
>> Dictionaries are developed by individuals/entities outside OOo,
>> they were never developed inside the OOo source tree. I'm not sure
>> what was the procedure (sure Gianluca can comment), but it seems like
>> these dictionaries were updated on request, not developed by OOo.
> Surely, the community developed the dictionaries and there were specific
> *external* projects that worked on several dictionaries.

Yes, so in a sense they were developed by OOo, meaning by the
OpenOffice.org community, but development happened (happens!) outside
the OpenOffice.org code repository and the sources are periodically
synchronized with the external repositories, usually before a release.

> My main worry is to provide to the users, at *download time*, *all*
> tools they may need for a functional Office Suite, without forcing them
> to browse one or more external websites for important add-ons like the
> linguistic tools.

This would be a start, but (not talking licenses here, we have plenty of
other discussions about that!) providing the users at INSTALLATION time
with a dictionary or the way to obtain it is equally important to me; we
could easily do both, anyway. Of course this mainly concerns Windows users.

>> An official binary release without the three linguistic components is
>> a NO-GO (IMO).
> a big +1 from me.

Sure. I don't even know if all thesauri can work properly without
Hunspell being enabled and the corresponding spellchecker working. I
never tried building without Hunspell, but I think that the English
thesaurus relies on the English spellchecker to perform advanced
operations, i.e., given that "feline" is a synonym of "cat" deducing (by
Hunspell rules) that "felines" is a synonym of "cats". I've always
assumed this depends on Hunspell, but, again, I never tried building
without Hunspell and I would be curious to know if it breaks in that case.

Regards,
   Andrea.