incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:59:51 GMT
On 25.11.2011 10:38, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Hi Mathias,
>

> On 24.11.2011 18:04, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>> Just a dumb question: why do we think that the dicts are source code?
>> At least those without patches are distributed without any treatment.
>> We just package them. So where is the difference between an MPL
>> library and an MPL .dic file? Just the extension and the encoding of
>> its content.
>
> When we are just packaging them, then why not just provide the ready
> made extensions and either bundle them or place them on the extension
> repository. Which, by the way, already contains more spell-checking
> extensions than the dictionaries module?

Mainly because we package some content from our side together with the
dic files. That must be done somewhere, and until now it was desired
that this "somewhere" is inside the OOo build process.

Treating MPL dics as "source files" would require to do the packaging of
the dictionary extensions elsewhere, in the same way as building the MPL
binaries must be done elsewhere.

I'm not convinced that this effort is needed, it is possible that we
don't need to create dic files as "sources" in the same way as e.g. c++
files. Again, it was just a suggestion, some room for thoughts.

Regards,
Mathias