incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2011 09:54:19 GMT
Hi,

On 25.11.2011 09:00, Gianluca Turconi wrote:
> Il 24/11/2011 17.39, Ariel Constenla-Haile ha scritto:
>> Dictionaries are developed by individuals/entities outside OOo,
>> they were never developed inside the OOo source tree. I'm not sure
>> what was the procedure (sure Gianluca can comment), but it seems like
>> these dictionaries were updated on request, not developed by OOo.
>
> Surely, the community developed the dictionaries and there were specific
> *external* projects that worked on several dictionaries.
>
> I.e. the Italian thesaurus was created thanks to a large and long
> collaboration with an Italian school, as a students' project.
>
>> And on the other side:
>> * some dictionaries are incomplete (like the Spanish case)
>> * there may be cases where there are more dictionaries out there for the
>> same language. Why should AOO favor one? The user should be the one
>> who chooses which dictionary to install
>
> My main worry is to provide to the users, at *download time*, *all*
> tools they may need for a functional Office Suite, without forcing them
> to browse one or more external websites for important add-ons like the
> linguistic tools.
>
>> For the official binary release AOO can ship category B libraries in
>> binary form, so for a release AOO can (and should) be compiled with
>> --enable-hunspell and --enable-hyphen until someone finds a replacement.
>> An official binary release without the three linguistic components is
>> a NO-GO (IMO).
>
> a big +1 from me.

+1 from me, too.  I am just searching for a way remove code with the
wrong license.

>> A binary official release without dictionaries may be annoying for the
>> end users, but there are alternatives (like (miss-)using the first start
>> wizard to invite the user to download dictionary-extensions for his/her
>> language, etc.).
>
> I suppose Andre Fischer started this thread just to find a consensus
> about a single alternative among those we were previously discussing. ;-)

Oh, I will gladly take any other alternative, as long as there is a
consensus :-)

But this is a two-step process: first to remove the dictionaries module,
and then find a solution of how to re-integrate the spell check extensions.

I would like to go ahead with the first part, so that we can provide a
developer build soon.  For the second part we have some more time.  But
not too much.  I think that it is important that we have a 3.4 release soon.

-Andre