incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: GPL'd dictionaries (was Re: ftp.services.openoffice.org?)
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2011 09:25:16 GMT
Hi Rob, all,

On 24.11.2011 18:50, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Pedro Giffuni<pfg@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Ariel;
>>
>> If the comment on the Wiki has been approved by Apache
>> legal and not just an interpretation you guys are right.
>>

> Weak copy left (category-b) like MPL may be included in our binary
> releases but not our source releases.   We can also automate
> downloading the source for these modules as a non default build
> option.
>
> We are not required to move MPL code from SVN.  But we should be
> removing GPL code since we cannot distribute that in source or binary
> releases.

I would like to clarify what it means that MPL code is part of the SVN
repository.  At the moment, most category-b and -x code is provided in
one of several archives that are downloaded during the configure process
from
http://hg.services.openoffice.org/binaries.  That means that up to now
these archives have not been part of the SVN repository.  The
dictionaries are one exception to this.  They are located in the
main/dictionaries directory.

The http://hg.services.openoffice.org/binaries server is not expected to
live for much longer so we need a new home for these archives.  We are
in the process (almost finished) to remove the category-x code.  For the
remaining category-b code the SVN repository would be a convenient
place, but every other server would do as well (from a technical
standpoint).

That means that there already is a clear distinction between category-a
and category-b code.  This distinction makes it easier to make a source
release by basically just putting the main/ and extras/ trees into an
archive.  No sorting out the category-b code is necessary.

Regards,
Andre