incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Rationalizing two OpenOffice websites
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 23:42:14 GMT
Am 11/22/2011 06:54 PM, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> ++1
>
> AH!! Jürgen said the magic word: PORTAL.  Now I can say something that
 > has been nagging at me without words.
>
> It will be extremely valuable for the openoffice.org web site to remain
 > the portal of the openoffice.org lineage, where the entry to Apache
 > OpenOffice is more tightly-coupled but not exclusive. And user support
 > is for the lineage, even though activity may become more about Apache
 > OpenOffice releases in the future.
>
> One concern about changing the URLs for the wiki and the forums:  This
 > will break absolute bookmarks and cross-references from users and from
 > elsewhere in the site, including in the forums, unless the existing
 > URLs are (also) preserved.  This also impacts existing search-engine
 > indexing.

Right. These are really wideley used and known URLs and should be (kind
of) preserved. So, if possible I would suggest to let the shorter URLs
become the real ones and make a DNS redirect or httpd rewrite (depends
on the techncially backgound that I don't know) of the longer to the
shorter URLs.

In 1, 2 or 3 years we could define that the longer URLs can now be deleted.

> I would rather preserve those URLs.  The shorter ones are nice and the
 > old ones could redirect to them.  And I wouldn't do this quickly
 > unless it is clearly a no-brainer and the redirect/rewrite works
 > perfectly. It is also something that could be done independently of
 > all the static-page remodeling that is needed.

PS:
How comes that the text is sometimes well formatting and like in this
mail it's only one long unwrapped line.

So, sorry if my hand-quoted text is worse.

Marcus